Wednesday, December 09, 2009

THE PACKING QUANDARY













Perusing the sparsely laid out clothes I have fastidiously fashioned around my suitcase, I speculate whether five pairs of stilettos is five pairs too many for my Hawaiian getaway?

In a land where the bare foot and a Muumuu are considered acceptable attire (along with the haul I intend to lug from Neiman Marcus on day one), I may need to rethink the contents of my luggage.

Rationalizing that weather permitting and while not in stores burrowing through pre Christmas sales, I will spend the majority of my time by the pool or in a beach-like state, I may need give my inner nervous self a good wake up slap and do what I always say I will do. Pack the absolute bare minimum. The problem occurs when defining what the absolute bare minimum is.

It seems irrelevant that countless people remind me throughout my packing assignment that I am staying at a tropical island resort where I will only need bikinis and some kind of beach wrap. In addition, Hawaiian sales will be a glorious up to 75% off and I’ll be amongst them within two hours of landing. I know I will still pack way too many clothes and shoes.

The fact eighty percent of my suitcase contents becomes redundant the minute I land at the airport seems to matter little, except for the moment I am trying to jostle it back into the case to depart along with countless other items I have purchase throughout the week.

The most ridiculous part of this equation is that after I cull my dress shoe cartage to the bare minimum; one pair of wedges and one pair of stilettos, I realize that by day five I probably won’t have worn either. That is not to say I won’t have had the chance, I have no doubt I will have been to at least two different fine dining restaurants by this stage. I just won’t be bothered getting too dressed up, choosing to opt for the more casual alternative.

Somehow, I disregard this actuality and the sentiment of ‘Hawaiian Time,’ an all-encompassing attitude that covers everything from what you do, when you do it and the manner in which you execute it.

For those who haven’t had the pleasure of having Aloha purred at them the minute the tarmac presents itself this may be an odd notion. I also know that it’s a certainty that once I’ve inadvertently procure some Gucci what I have in my luggage is inconsequential.

I’m not quite sure what it is about new shoes that compel one to wear them immediately if not sooner but I know this does and will happen.

Oh well, with any luck I’ll send this baby into stowage with the absolute minimum – whatever that turns out to be…

Bookmark and Share

______________________________________________________
Follow Tracey on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/traceygillinder
or read Tracey's columns @ http://www.babesinbusiness.com

2 comments:

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

Good luck! I pack for Hawaii twice a year so I have it down to a fine art now - 2 pairs of thongs, 2 t-shirts, 2 singlets, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 bikinis, 1 slip dress to go over said bikinis (purchased from the ABC store, naturally), 1 light dress for Ala Moana/Norstrom Rack shopping and 1 maxi dress for dinners. Roll it all up and put one suitcase inside another. PLENTY of room for hitting Macy's!

Tracey Gillinder said...

You’re so good - such dedication. This is my 10th trip & I still want to pack way over what I need… when will I ever learn?